Low Level Care
As part of our first class aged care service, SomerCare provides low-level care to residents supporting them to maintain their capabilities whilst providing discreet and supportive assistance in those areas where more help is required.
Our low-level care services include assistance with:
- Personal care including bathing and grooming
- Medication administration as required
- Nursing care as required
As part of our mission to ensure all residents enjoy their daily lives in an elegant, civilised manner where care, compassion, respect and dignity is the benchmark, we treat all residents as if they were our family.
Constant review and assessment of our residents’ needs, as well as their individual ability to maintain a high level of dignity and self-sufficiency, is discussed regularly with both the residents and their families. This is done to ensure that the low-level care provided continues to cater for the desired level of independent living and lifestyle requirements necessary to maintain resident health and wellbeing.
Residents and their families can have complete peace-of-mind knowing that we are constantly monitoring functions including mobility, communication, hygiene, physical and mental health and social engagement.
We can arrange for a doctor to visit ‘in-room’ or residents can choose to have their own physician visit. Additionally, our in-house physiotherapy team assesses all low-level care residents and establishes programs to meet individual needs, including those required for promoting mobility and rehabilitation.
Friendly, caring staff 24 hours
Our carefully selected nursing staff members are available 24 hours a day to tend to residents personal care and individual needs. While most low-level care residents are very independent it is comforting to know that they can get assistance when they need it.
SomerCare offers a wide range of stimulating activities and social programs providing something of interest to all of our low-level care residents to participate in should they desire.
Through our affiliation with many local community organisations, residents can choose to participate in events such as:
- Intergenerational programs with primary and secondary school students
- Regular concerts and performances conducted by local and visiting musical/performance groups
- Bus tours to picturesque local destinations where residents regardless of mobility status can take advantage of the fresh sea air, enjoy a meal at local establishments along the Mornington Peninsula or visit local attractions.
- Celebrations of significant cultural and community events including Mother's/Father's day, grand final day, Melbourne Cup Day, ANZAC Day, Christmas concerts and cultural celebrations for all denominations
Residents have the opportunity to come and try our social group activities or become part of a special interest group, which is aimed at supporting an individual’s lifelong interests.
Social groups are designed for all residents to come and try. They are conducted multiple times every day and include activities such as:
- Gentle exercise programs and walking groups
- Physiotherapist directed gym programs
- Cognitive programs including quizzes and crosswords
- Carpet bowls, Mini Golf, Darts and other games
- Craft groups
- Pet Therapy
- Movies in our dedicated movie theatrette
- Sensory programs including the use of a Snoezelin Room (sensory room)
Special interest group activities are membership-based groups, which are targeted at specific residents based on their life-long interests and passions. These groups are aimed at bringing together people with similar interests so they can continue to enjoy activities they have always undertaken. These groups vary and change as our mix of residents change but may include:
- Art club
- Reading group
- Knitting club
- Cooking club
- Chimers musical group
- Men’s club
- Sports groups
Fresh meals daily
Residents are treated to international and seasonal cuisine to suit all diets, prepared daily by SomerCare’s in-house chef and culinary team. Our in-house dietician regularly reviews menu design and the nutrition and hydration needs of all residents to ensure optimum health is maintained. We cater to all dietary requirements including low salt, vegetarian, halal, kosher and diabetic.
Local convenience and services
With a shopping centre, medical centre, post office and bus/train services just a short walk away, our highly independent low level care residents are able to engage with the community with ease. Residents often form a ‘walking group’ and go shopping together. SomerCare also provides an on-site hairdressing salon and a dining room for private or social entertaining.
To find out further details about SomerCare’s outstanding low-level care please contact our friendly staff on (03) 5977 9922